This website is no longer maintained

Home » News

Man sentenced to two years and eight months for dangerous driving offences

November 17, 2014, 5:49 pm

Lee Smith, aged 23, (4.3.91) of Chester Road, N19 was sentenced to two years and eight months imprisonment on 14 November at Wood Green Crown Court having failed to stop at the scene of a collision at Shepherds Hill, N6.

Mr Recorder Hehir whilst passing sentence described Smith’s driving as “An appalling and terrifying piece of driving” and that the footage from the on board camera in the police vehicle made “chilling viewing.”

He described Smith’s behaviour as “inexplicable and inexcusable, injuring a victim who was blamelessly crossing the road leaving her lying at the roadside like a rag doll.”

He added: “Tribute must be paid to the police driver, PC David Millsip, who demonstrated consummate skill and professionalism throughout the pursuit.”

At approximately 11:35hrs on Monday, 15 September, a police vehicle in Colindale attempted to stop a black Ford Focus which was later found to have been reported lost or stolen.

The vehicle failed to stop and officers pursued. Blue lights and sirens were in operation.

At approximately 11:45hrs in Shepherds Hill, N6, near the junction of Archway, the Ford Focus collided with a 27-year-old female pedestrian causing serious injuries.

The vehicle did not stop at the scene. The police vehicle stopped and officers assisted the injured pedestrian.

The injured woman was taken to hospital by the London Ambulance Service suffering from leg and head injuries – although her condition was not life-threatening she was seriously injured. She currently continues to make a slow recovery but is still unable to walk or return to her much loved job.

The Ford Focus was later located in the Sheldon Road N6 area of Highgate.

Officers from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit based at Alperton launched an investigation and Smith was arrested in Tottenham on 17 September.

He appeared at Highbury Magistrates Court on Friday, 19 September, where he pleaded guilty to:

– Causing serious injury by dangerous driving,
– driving whilst disqualified;
– driving with no insurance and failing to stop after a road collision.

At Wood Green Crown Court he was sentenced to two years and eight months for causing serious injury by dangerous driving, 3 months for driving whilst disqualified, 3 months for failing to stop, no extra penalty for the no insurance.

He was disqualified from driving for 5 years subject to an extended retest

Copyright © 2023 Crime And Justice. Sitemap   RSS