This website is no longer maintained

Home » The North » North West » Greater Manchester Police

Man jailed after attacking woman with a hammer in Rochdale

November 7, 2014, 10:30 pm

A man has been jailed after repeatedly hitting a woman over the head with a hammer.

Stuart Peter Shaw (born 18/05/1988) of Green Meadow in Hurstead in Rochdale, was found guilty of attempted murder and assault on 14 May 2014 at Manchester Crown Square. He was sentenced today, 7 November 2014, to life imprisonment and must serve a minimum of seven years before he is eligible for parole.

In the early hours of Saturday 13 July 2013, Shaw and his partner had an argument while at a friend’s house on Back Drake Street in Rochdale.

They left the house and the argument escalated. Shaw punched her to the side of the head. He also pinned her to a parked car and pulled her to the ground bruising her shoulder.

A while later, the woman, 22, returned to her friend’s house on Back Drake Street in a taxi.

Shaw was waiting outside the house on his push bike but left shortly afterwards.

The woman called her mother who was at their home on Ashbrook Hey Lane in Smallbridge in Rochdale looking after their baby daughter, because she was worried Shaw might go to the house.

A short time later her mother called back and said Shaw was inside the house and that he had a hammer. The woman, fearing for the safety of her mother and young child, rang the police immediately.

Officers attended and discovered that Shaw had attacked the 54-year-old woman with a hammer-type tool. He had hit her numerous times to the head knocking her unconscious.

The child was unharmed.

Shaw stole the woman’s car and fled. He was located later that day by police at Baitings Gate Reservoir in Ripponden.

Detective Constable Laura Sutcliffe said: “The victim in this case has made a good recovery from her injuries but still doesn’t remember exactly what happened to her. Thankfully she is able to lead a normal life and has now returned to work despite the serious nature of her injuries.

“What we do know is that Shaw let himself into the house and repeatedly hit the victim over the head with a hammer type tool. It was an extreme act of violence and officers worked quickly to locate and arrest him later that same day.

“I would like to commend both victims in this case for their courage throughout the trial. Today justice has been served and he has been jailed for a significant amount of time.”

Copyright © 2022 Crime And Justice. Sitemap   RSS