This website is no longer maintained

Home » Jailed

Rapist jailed after two years on the run

March 11, 2013, 11:39 am

An illegal immigrant, believed to be from Nigeria, has been jailed for seven years at the Old Bailey today, 11 March 2013, for the knifepoint rape of a woman in July 2010 in south London.

John Jambu, 34 (25.12.78), of Brighton Road, Croydon, had denied the offence but was convicted of the rape on 28 January following a trial at the Old Bailey. He had earlier pleaded guilty to fraud-related matters concerning identity documents.

He was sentenced to nine months imprisonment to run consecutively on the fraud matters.

Jambu had been working as a manager of a nursing agency in 2010 when the victim approached him for work. They had a professional relationship as Jambu had given her work previously. Jambu took her to a pub for a meeting but the prospective employer did not turn up. Jambu then offered the victim a lift home via his flat in Woolwich, under the pretence of picking up some laundry.

Whilst there, Jambu told the victim that he had to speak to someone outside, but, unbeknown to the victim, he went out and purchased a pack of condoms. On his return he became violent, making sexual advances and threatening the victim with a knife before raping her.

The victim managed to escape from Jambu’s flat and run into the street where she stopped a car, pleading for help. The occupants of the vehicle took her to Woolwich rail station and she made her way home and reported the incident to police.

Although the victim identified the flat where the attack happened, Jambu had left. Information obtained through an appeal on BBC Crimewatch in July 2012 indicated that he was a manager at a care home in Purley, south London. Jambu was arrested on 20 July 2012 at his home address after information received directly from this appeal gave the investigating team an address for him. When he was arrested, Jambu was hiding inside a divan bed in the bedroom. He gave a false name on arrest and was also found to have identification and credit cards under a false name. He was charged with rape and false misrepresentation.

Detective Constable Peter Thompson, of SC&O2 (Sapphire Command), said: “Jambu used extreme violence in order to carry out this attack. He lured the victim back to his home and raped her at knifepoint. He then went on the run for two years, changing his identity.

“However, thanks to the members of the public coming forward from the Crimewatch appeal, we managed to track him down to face justice. The victim in this case showed tremendous strength and courage to give evidence against him some two-and-a-half years after the attack. I hope the sentence handed down by the Judge goes some way towards helping the victim recover from this ordeal.”

Detective Inspector Faye Churchyard, from Sapphire Command, added: “The investigation team never gave up on tracking down Jambu. We caught up with him even though he created a new life and identity for himself. He is now where he should be – languishing in prison. Rape is a pernicious crime and under-reported by victims. I hope this conviction will encourage those who have been victims to come forward and tell us what has happened to them.”

Copyright © 2024 Crime And Justice. Sitemap   RSS