Residents urged to be vigilant following garage breaks
February 26, 2013, 11:52 am
Police are asking people to be vigilant and take extra steps to secure their bikes following a series of incidents in Hemel Hempstead recently.
Four reports of garage break-ins have been made to police recently in the areas of Wharfdale, Westerdale, Great Hart, Mendip May. In the majority of these cases the offender(s) have forced access to garages and made off with the bikes.
View full article on Crime And Justice
· A garage was broken into but no items stolen in Mendip Way, between Thursday 17 January and Thursday 24 January. (Crime ref D1/13/588)
· Fishing tackle and a black Busette mountain bike were stolen from a garage in Great Heart between Saturday 2 February and Thursday 14 February. (Crime ref D1/13/1008)
· A green Raleigh mountain bike was stolen from a garage on Friday 15 February. (Crime ref D1/13/1023)
· A black Allterra mountain bike, a black/blue Muddy Fox mountain bike, a green Dawes Discovery mountain bike and a fishing box were stolen from a garage in Wharfedale between Monday 18 February and Tuesday 19 February. (Crime ref D1/13/1114)
PC Michael Ball said: “We are asking people to be vigilant and look out for people acting suspiciously in gardens or around garages. Please call police if you see or hear anything out of the ordinary so we can attend and investigate.
“It is also advisable to register your bike and other valuables, such as mobile phones, for free on www.immobilise.com, so if your property is ever stolen and subsequently recovered by police, we can return the item to you. It only takes a few minutes to register.”
Other advice includes:
· Always lock your shed, preferably with two ‘hasp and staple’ locks (one near the top and one near the bottom of the door)
· Secure your rear garden by locking entry gates with a padlock
· Burglars can use garden tools to break in, so make sure you securely lock away any tools after use
· Ensure boundary fences are secure and in good condition. Spiky plants along garden boundaries are good additional deterrents
· Tools and gardening equipment should be visibly marked with your postcode and house number – this can deter thieves and help police identify the rightful owner
· Remember to lock your garage door securely. Metal ‘up and over doors can be secured with extra locks fitted either side and/or a floor-mounted locking ‘T bar with a closed shackle padlock. Wooden garage doors can be secured with two substantial hasps and staple locks and closed shackle padlocks (your local DIY store can advise on the most secure options).