This website is no longer maintained

Home » The South » London » Metropolitan Police Service

Man sentenced to 11 years for supplying firearm to Mark Duggan

February 26, 2013, 3:20 pm

Kevin Hutchinson-Foster, 30 (6.6.82), unemployed and of Neville Road,
Hackney, was today, Tuesday 26 February, sentenced to 11 years
imprisonment at the Old Bailey having previously been found guilty on 31
January of transferring a firearm to Mark Duggan on a day between 28
July 2011 and 5 August 2011.

He had previously pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm with intent
to cause fear of violence and actual bodily harm when he assaulted a man
on 29 July 2011 at Lagoon Hair Salon, Kingsland Road, Hackney.

Detective Chief Superintendent Dean Haydon, MPS Trident Gang Crime
Command said:

“Kevin Hutchinson-Foster has today been sentenced to 11 years
imprisonment for supplying an illegal firearm to Mark Duggan. This
sentence takes into account an earlier incident where Hutchinson-Foster
assaulted a man with a gun in a Hair Salon in Hackney in 2011 and to
which he pleaded guilty to offences of assault and possession of a
firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.

“Last year saw Trident re-focus its efforts and it now leads the
Metropolitan Police Service response to tackling gang-related crime and
associated violence, with additional responsibility for the prevention
and investigation of all shootings in London.

“This has meant a more coordinated and consistent approach across London
and we’ve already seen some really promising success with stabbings and
shootings among young people falling significantly this year. The number
of times an illegal gun has been discharged has dropped by 19%, meaning
83 fewer shootings; last year alone the MPS seized 382 firearms and
large quantities of ammunition. London has seen a sustained 20 per cent
reduction in gun crime over the past four years.

“I welcome the sentence today as this is the culmination of a complex
and lengthy investigation and the sentence reflects the seriousness of
his offending.

“There is an ongoing IPCC investigation into the death of Mark Duggan
and the circumstances of his death will be a matter for the Coroner at a
later date.”

At around 19.15hrs on Friday 29 July 2011 the victim, a 30-year-old man,
was at a hairdressers in Kingsland Road, E8, when he was threatened with
a gun by Kevin Hutchinson-Foster who struck him across the head.

There was a short struggle between the two before Hutchinson-Foster made
off with the gun. CCTV recorded the incident and the suspect was
identified as Hutchinson Foster.

On 4 August 2011 officers were conducting surveillance on Mark Duggan,
who was travelling as passenger in a taxi. At 18.15hrs armed officers
stopped the vehicle in Ferry Lane, N15, and Mark Duggan was fatally shot
by police.

The investigation into the shooting of Mark Duggan is being conducted by
the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).
The gun that had been supplied to Mark Duggan by Kevin Hutchinson-Foster
was found at the scene in Ferry Lane.

Copyright © 2024 Crime And Justice. Sitemap   RSS