This website is no longer maintained

Home » The South » London » Metropolitan Police Service

First anniversary of Omer Jama Abdi murder

February 14, 2013, 4:51 pm

On the first anniversary of the death Omer Jama Abdi in Wembley, homicide detectives are re-iterating appeals for witnesses and offering a reward for information in his murder.

A £20,000 reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of person or persons responsible for the murder of Omer in Wembley in February 2012.

On Tuesday, 14 February 2012 at approximately 02:20hrs officers were alerted a man injured following an assault in St John’s Road, Wembley.

Officers and London Ambulance Service (LAS) attended and the victim was taken to Northwick Park Hospital where he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.

He was Omer Jama Abdi, 35 (30.1.77), a Somali who resided in Wembley.

It is understood Mr Abdi had been involved in an altercation with two men, described as being of Somali appearance, outside an address in St John’s Road, prior to the assault.

A initial post-mortem examination did not establish a formal cause of death, but following the results of further tests it was established Omer died of coronary heart disease with a causational link to the assault.

On 15 February 2012, detectives released an image of a man they wish to speak to in connection with the investigation He is believed to be in his mid-30s, Somali in appearance.

He has never been identified or contacted police and officers are continuing to appeal for information about him.

On 15 March 2012, officers issued an image of a vehicle they wish to trace. The silver three-door Vauxhall Corsa was seen leaving Elm Road shortly after the murder in nearby St John’s Road. Officers are now releasing CCTV footage of this car and another, a dark coloured Vauxhall Astra.

Officers wish to speak to the drivers and any passengers of these vehicles in connection with the investigation.

Officers are also releasing images and footage of potential witnesses seen on CCTV. A group of three men were seen walking on St John’s Road at approximately 02:05hrs and a single man took the same route at approx. 02:10hrs.

Detective Inspector Jamie Stevenson who is leading the investigation for the Homicide and Serious Crime Command (HSCC) said: “It is now one year on since Omer died and his family is still no nearer to seeing those responsible brought to justice.

“There are a number of people we wish to identify and trace so we can speak to them about Omer’s death and we hope the people will recognise themselves on the CCTV footage and images and call us.

“We are also still keen to hear from anyone who knew Omer, that hasn’t spoken to police and can help us identify anyone that he may have had any altercations with.

“I hope that following this passage of time that there are people still out there that have information on what happened on the night of his death that now feel they can come forward and share this with police.

“I am also asking the Somali community to have confidence in the Met, and that any information that they have for us will be treated in the strictest of confidence. If preferable we have Somali speakers on hand to talk to anyone with information.”

Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8358 0200; for a dedicated Somali speaking line dial 020 8358 1241; or if you wish to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

+ In the early hours of 14 February 2012 a 39-year-old man [A] was arrested at an address in Wembley on suspicion of murder. He was later bailed but subsequently released with no further action on 20 August 2012.

Contact Crimestoppers anonymously with information about crime

Copyright © 2024 Crime And Justice. Sitemap   RSS