This website is no longer maintained

Home » The North » North West » Greater Manchester Police

Police issue warning over bank charges scam

September 20, 2012, 10:12 am

Residents in Trafford have been warned to beware of a scam in which victims are falsely told they have been awarded over-charges on their bank accounts.

The warning was sparked after a 78-year-old Altrincham man received a phone call on Monday 17 September 2012, stating he was owed £3,500 after he had been overcharged on his bank account.

To receive the cheque he was told to go to the newsagents or a Co-op and buy a YOUCASH Voucher, this would cover admin fees. He was told to hand this voucher to the person who was to deliver his cheque to him.

The following day he received further calls, now asking for the voucher number over the phone, and if he didn⿿t supply this the cheque would not be delivered.

Once the voucher number is given over the phone the offender can retrieve funds from the voucher, there was clearly no intention to attend his address with a cheque.

Uncertain whether he should hand over the cash, the man contacted the police and was told that he should not hand over any cash.

Officers from Trafford division are now warning other residents not to fall foul of this scam.

PC John McGrath, based in Trafford, said: “This man did exactly the right thing. He questioned the letter and immediately called the police when he had concerns about it.

“I would urge anyone who receives a letter or e-mail along these lines to contact the police. I would also say that no legitimate company or organisation would expect you to hand over money before they send you what is rightfully yours.

“Trust your instincts and if it does not seem right then it probably isn’t.”

Anyone who receives one of these letters in suspicious circumstances is asked to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Contact Crimestoppers anonymously with information about crime

101 – The police non-emergency number

101 is the number to call when you want to contact your local police in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland – when it’s less urgent than a 999 call.
Find out more information about 101 by following this link.

Copyright © 2024 Crime And Justice. Sitemap   RSS