This website is no longer maintained

Home » News

Nottinghamshire: Man forced to pay back drugs profits

September 26, 2012, 9:28 am

A Carlton-in-Lindrick man, who made thousands of pounds from dealing drugs, is being forced to pay it back.

Richard Caldwell, previously of Knaton Road, is currently serving a four-year prison sentence after he pleaded guilty in April 2012 to possession with intent to supply heroin.

At a hearing at Nottingham Crown Court on Friday (21 September 2012), the 35-year-old was the subject of a Confiscation Order under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (POCA).

The court found Caldwell made £10,198.65 from his criminal lifestyle. Property seized from his home was estimated to be worth £2,157, leaving him owing in excess of £8,000.

In addition to this, Caldwell had already forfeited a total of £8,041.25 cash for his illegal activities, following a previous hearing at Nottingham Magistrates Court in February 2012.

PC John Graham led the case against Caldwell. He said: “Caldwells sentence does not end on his release from prison. He will be in the red, and will continue to pay for his crimes financially, until he has settled his debt.

“In Bassetlaw, we dont just pursue offenders to the point of criminal conviction, we also sting them financially to ensure they enjoy absolutely no benefit from their illegal activities.

“If ever there was an example that crime does not pay, this is it.”

Caldwell was initially arrested in November 2010 following the execution of a search warrant at his home.

In total, heroin, with an estimated street value of £3,000, was seized, along with associated drugs paraphernalia and around £6,000 in cash and property.

While on bail Caldwell was arrested again in January 2011 and June 2011, following the recovery of a number of cannabis plants at two addresses. In both cases he pleaded guilty to the production of a Class B drug and received a further nine months and 12 months in jail, to run consecutively to the 30 months. This amounted to four years and three months behind bars.

Monies paid under POCA go into a Government pot, from which a percentage is given to the prosecuting force to be used in the prevention, disruption and investigation of crime.

If you suspect someone of producing or selling illegal drugs contact Nottinghamshire Police on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Contact Crimestoppers anonymously with information about crime

101 – The police non-emergency number

101 is the number to call when you want to contact your local police in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland – when it’s less urgent than a 999 call.
Find out more information about 101 by following this link.

Copyright © 2024 Crime And Justice. Sitemap   RSS