Northumbria: Latest flooding/weather update
September 25, 2012, 11:54 am
Northumbria Police is asking for the publics continued co-operation as agencies work to deal with the severe weather.
Chief Inspector Sarah Pitt said: “We’d ask that drivers continue to drive with great care in the current conditions and allow extra time for their journeys.
“There have been a number of collisions on the roads due to people driving too fast, aquaplaning and not driving according to conditions.
View full article on Crime And Justice
“Where possible drivers should also try and stagger their journeys home if at work as rush hour may be even busier than usual.
“People have been very supportive so far and wed ask again against travel unless necessary.”
With regards to public transport Metros are running to all destinations but there are some delays, the same applies to local bus services. Trains are running normally between Sunderland and Newcastle. Newcastle Airport is running as normal.
In Spencer Court, Newburn, a 50m cordon remains in place after local residents were evacuated after concerns around stability of the building.
Police are working with other emergency services and partners to ensure people are safe. Newburn First School being used as a rest centre.
Clsoures in area are Walbottle Road at junction of quarry and factories, Mill Vale and Manor Grove and Millfield Lane.
Current other road closures
1) A189 Findus roundabout, West Moor, in all directions
2) A1 northbound at Swarland closed
3) A1 Tritlington – North bound
4) A68 Kiln Pit Hill
5) A690 westbound, outside of Reg Vardy, closed.
6) Mill Lane, Newburn, completely closed
7) Worral Bank, Morpeth, junction with Pegswood closed
8) A1058 Coast Road – Eastbound is closed (expected until 1:15pm)
9) A6085 Newburn Road, north of the Town Hill Gardens junction. Newburn Village also closed.
10) Walbottle Road junction, Newburn Road closed.