This website is no longer maintained

Home » News

Northumbria: Crackdown on alcohol related, anti social behaviour

September 25, 2012, 12:12 pm

Police in Blyth are using powers to ban people from the town as part of a crackdown on alcohol-related anti-social behaviour.

Since the beginning of September, officers from the Blyth Neighbourhood Policing Team have issued 14 ‘Direction to Leave’ notices in the town centre and Cowpen Quay.

These have been handed out to persistent trouble-makers in possession of alcohol and excludes them from a defined area for up to 48 hours.

If police find them in the area within that time, they face being arrested. Two men, aged 19 and 21, have been arrested and charged for breaching the notices and are due to appear in court.

PC Ewan Campbell, Neighbourhood Beat Manager for the area, said: “Residents frequently raise concerns to us about people drinking and being disorderly in the area.  We also know there is a clear link between drunkenness and disorder.

“The ‘Direction to Leave’ powers mean we can minimise the potential for disorder and deal with public concerns.

“Those committing criminal offences will be arrested in the first instance, but these powers mean we can disperse groups or individuals who may be making a situation worse or getting themselves involved in disorder.

“We hope those living in the area can see that we are taking a robust stance against alcohol-related crime and disorder and we will continue to do so.

“We also hope those people who are directed to leave will learn their lesson and refrain from getting involved in such behaviour in the future.”

The action forms part of the Northumbria Police campaign, ‘Put yourself in their shoes’, tackling anti-social behaviour and urging people to think about how their behaviour affects others.

Anyone with concerns in their neighbourhood can contact police on 101, extension 69191 or via the Northumbria Police website,

101 – The police non-emergency number

101 is the number to call when you want to contact your local police in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland – when it’s less urgent than a 999 call.
Find out more information about 101 by following this link.

Copyright © 2023 Crime And Justice. Sitemap   RSS