This website is no longer maintained

Home » News

Northamptonshire: Kettering – Distraction burglary

September 26, 2012, 11:58 am

Police are appealing for information after a distraction burglary occurred yesterday (Tuesday 25 September) some time between 3.50pm and 4.30pm in the Dryden Street area, Kettering.

A man knocked on the back door of a property and informed the residents – an 81 year old woman and an 88 year old man – that he was a surveyor from the Council. He asked them to come out into the garden to discuss some work he was due to carry out. While they were outside, a second man entered the property and removed an amount of cash.

The first offender is described as a white man, of a heavy build, approximately 59” in height. He was described as wearing a white polo t-shirt underneath a navy blue top, and a grey baseball cap with a blue peak.

The second offender is described as a white man that was shorter than the first offender.

Police are keen to speak with anyone who may have noticed two men or vehicle acting suspiciously in the area.

Unlike a burglary where an offender may use an opportunity to climb in through an open window, walk in through an unlocked open door, or force their way into a property, distraction burglars (bogus callers) will use stories to trick their way into a home.

Most callers at your home will be genuine. However those who engage in doorstep crime can be very convincing and persuasive in order to gain access to your property. Their aim is to steal money or valuables, or to offer overpriced trade services.

The advice from police is – if you are not sure, dont open the door. Further crime prevention advice can be found by visiting the Doorstep Crime section on our website –

Witnesses to this incident, or anyone with information, should call Northamptonshire Police on 101 – alternatively, information can be given anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Contact Crimestoppers anonymously with information about crime

101 – The police non-emergency number

101 is the number to call when you want to contact your local police in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland – when it’s less urgent than a 999 call.
Find out more information about 101 by following this link.

Copyright © 2024 Crime And Justice. Sitemap   RSS