This website is no longer maintained

Home » Murder Investigations

Dale Cregan charged with 4 counts of Murder and 4 counts of attempted murder.

September 20, 2012, 6:37 pm

A man has been charged with the murder of PC Nicola Hughes, PC Fiona Bone and Mark and David Short.

Dale Cregan (born 06/06/83), of no fixed address, has been charged with four counts of murder and four counts of attempt murder.

He is due to appear at Manchester magistrates court on tomorrow, Friday 21 September 2012.

PC Nicola Hughes, aged 23 and PC Fiona Bone, aged 32, were killed as they responded to a routine incident at Abbey Gardens in Hattersley shortly before 11am on Tuesday 18 September 2012.

There were reports that shots were fired and a grenade was also used. The two officers suffered fatal injuries and Fiona sadly died at the scene. Nicola also sadly died a short time later.

A 28-year-old man arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder, in relation to the deaths of the two officers, remains in police custody for questioning.

At 10.30am on Friday 10 August 2012, the body of David Short, 46, was found at a house on Folkestone Road East in Clayton after police were called there following reports of gunshots. There had also been an explosion at the address, which was caused by a grenade.

Less than ten minutes later, there was another grenade explosion outside a house on Luke Road in Droylsden. No-one was injured during this incident.

Anthony Wilkinson (born 21/05/1979) from the Beswick area was previously charged with murder, attempted murder and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

Jermaine Anton Ward, born 04/07/1988, was previously charged with murder and attempted murder and is next due at Manchester Crown Court, Crown Square, on 9 November 2012.

Three other men arrested on suspicion of the murder of David Short have been bailed until October 2012 pending further inquiries.

At 11.50pm on Friday 25 May 2012, police were called to the Cotton Tree Inn on Market Street after a gunman had entered and fired shots.

Officers attended and discovered 23-year-old Mark Short, had been fatally shot. Three other men were also shot.

A Home Office post-mortem examination concluded he died from a gunshot wound to the neck.

Damian Gorman (born 22/12/74), Luke Livesey (born 19/2/85), Ryan Hadfield (born 18/5/84), Matthew James (born 24/8/79) have previously been charged with murder.

Three other men and a woman arrested on suspicion of the murder of Mark Short have been bailed until October 2012 pending further inquiries.

Chief Constable Sir Peter Fahy, said: “This remains a complex investigation and the fact we have charged someone does not mean the investigation is complete.

“We still have someone in custody and people on bail and there is still a lot of work to be done.

“We have been touched by the many thousands of messages received from the public who are as shocked as we are and I want to thank them for their support over the last few days.

“We will continue our high visibility presence in the Hattersley area and I would urge anyone who has any information about what happened on Tuesday morning or in the lead up to it they must do the right and just thing and contact us.”

A book of condolence is available online at for anyone who wishes to leave messages for the two officers.

Copyright © 2024 Crime And Justice. Sitemap   RSS