This website is no longer maintained

Home » The North » North West » Greater Manchester Police

A father and son have been sentenced for viciously attacking a party goer at a pub in Stockport

August 10, 2012, 12:54 pm

Mark Kavanagh (born 08/09/1969), of Padden Brook Mews, Romiley has today Friday 10 August 2012 been sentenced at Manchester Minshull Street to three years in prison.

He pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to section 18 assault, affray and possessing an offensive weapon.

Nathan Johnston (born 09/10/1992), of Vale Close, Hazel Grove has today been sentenced at Manchester Minshull Street to a 30 week suspended sentence, 100 hours community service and a three month curfew.

He pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to section 20 assault, affray and possessing an offensive weapon.

At about 11pm on Saturday 21 January 2012 two friends arrived at the Royal Oak pub on Commercial Road, Hazel Grove to join a 21st birthday party.

At about 1am one of the friends a 26-year-old man went outside and was approached by Kavanagh, an argument started between the two of them.

Johnston intervened and broke up the argument. The victim walked in the pub and sat with friends.

He was closely followed by Johnston who picked up a glass bottle and threw it in his direction, narrowly missing his head.

A fight broke out and the licensee of the pub walked over, he grabbed hold of Johnston and threw him out.

Kavanagh followed them, he pulled both the landlords arms behind his back and hit him with a bottle, he fell to the floor and both Kavanagh and Johnson kicked and punched him.

A few customers came out of the pub and pulled him back inside. Kavanagh and Johnson walked off shouting abuse.

About twenty minutes later they returned with axes and started to swing them at party goers.

Kavanagh lunged at the man he had been fighting with earlier, he hit his arm with the axe causing a slice to his upper arm. He swings the axe at the victims neck, but he blocked it with his arm and managed to push him off.

Both Kavanagh and Johnston ran off.

Detective Constable Paul Chesworth from Stockport CID, said: “This was a vicious attack on a man enjoying a night out with friends.

“Johnston and Kavanagh should have left when they were thrown out of the pub, but instead came back armed with axes.

“They savagely attacked their victim causing extensive injuries. If he hadnt reacted so quickly this could have easily ended in tragedy all over a heated argument.”

Copyright © 2024 Crime And Justice. Sitemap   RSS